Monday, March 9, 2009

Home at Last

We made it safely home late night on March 3rd, and as you can imagine, have been busy ever since trying to adjust to life at home and a new routine. Thank you to all of you for your support and prayers as we traveled back to Michigan from Russia.

The plane ride home was very, very long..... I do not want to have to do that again for quite some time. The flight from Moscow to Atlanta was 10 hours instead of 11 hours. Thank you Mr. Pilot for getting us there faster! The beginning of the flight was okay for the first few hours. Once we were about 3 hours in, the fussing crying and little temper tantrums started. Tia was just so exhausted and would not rest. Finally at about the 7 1/2 hour mark she was so exhausted that she fell asleep on the floor. My poor little girl! I then wrapped her in her blankets and she slept the rest of the flight. The people on the plane were all very nice and didn't complain at all. Luckily for me and the rest of the people on the plane,Tia has quit having complete screaming at the top of her lungs type temper tantrums.

Once in Atlanta we had to go through passport control, then immigration, and finally customs where we had to get our luggage and recheck it in for our final flight to Detroit. All went smoothly. Thank Heavens! Just long waits. But again, thank you Mr Pilot for getting us there earlier so we didn't miss our connecting flight home. We were also thankful to be around English speaking people once again. Not that the Russians were mean at the Moscow airport, but it was frustrating at passport control when the control agent was asking for Tia's Visa paperwork, and I had no idea what she wanted as the Visa was in the passport. Thankfully another agent finally came over and translated. (They wanted to see the court documents, not Visa to prove that Tia was legally mine). We also had to go through about 4 security checks. Mom and I were pretty exhausted by the time we were finally able to head for the gate.

The flight from Atlanta to Detroit was uneventful. Tia slept the whole way! Yippee! Poor little girl. What a very long day for her. (And Mama and Grandma too)!We finally arrived at Detroit Metro and were greeted by family and friends. We were so happy to see familiar faces and to be on our way home.

Once in the door at home I had one more obstacle to overcome before I could get the Little Princess to bed. The dog! She was so afraid of Jake the first couple of days, but I am happy to report that she now is petting Jake and wanting to know where he is at all times. She still does not want to walk around unassisted by Mom with the dog in the room, but we are definitely making progress. She even giggled last night when Jake licked her face instead of turning to me and telling me that she had an ouchie.

We have been home now almost a week and are making big steps in our adjustment to home. I'm not sure that she knows yet that this is home and not just another pit stop but I think it is starting to sink in. Today she is actually taking her first nap since I took custody of her on February 21st. I am so excited, I finally get to update the blog and work on paperwork to get her added to my insurance, and get everything ready to get her a social security card and register her with the Russian consulate. It's amazing what you can accomplish in an hour or so by yourself.

Aside from getting accustomed to the house and dog, Tia and I have gone to the park to swing and slide. We've been to the mall and played on the children's play scape, shopped at the grocery store, been to church, and met all of her aunts, uncles, and most of her cousins. It has been a very busy and fun week. Lots of new things to do and see.

Will post pictures soon. Tia is waking up! Just wanted to let everyone know we are doing well!

Bye for now!
Love Shannon and Tia


Cindy said...

So glad to hear you're home and things are going well. Congratulations!


Amy said...

Congrats!! Welcome home!!

Carey and Norman said...

Glad you are home. Looking forward to hearing about your first few weeks home together!

McMary said...

Welcome home Tia and Mom.
So wonderful to be a family in your own home. It seems so amazing to me--I can't wait.

Troy and Rachel said...

Sounds like you have been very busy and that Tia is adjusting so well. It all takes time and won't be long before she and the doggie are inseparable!! Glad you all made it home safe.

Mary and Michael said...

You have had a busy few weeks. Glad you are home and things are starting to settle down.

kate said...

Are you finished blogging? Have you moved blogs? Or are you just too busy to keep up with everything? lol!

As a single PAP and blog reader, I'd love to hear how you guys are doing.