Thursday, January 10, 2008

Learning how to blog!



Well....I'm taking the leap and learning how to blog. (Notice I said learning...as this has not been as easy as others make it look).




I have begun to create this blog site to share my journey of adoption with my family, friends and other families who are on this wonderful emotional roller coaster of a journey called adoption, or with those who have already adopted or those who are considering adoption.




I actually began this journey a little over a year ago now. It was December 15th, 2006 when I realized how much I truly wanted to have a family of my own. This wasn't the first time that the thought had crossed my mind, oh no...for I had thought about it many times before. But, it was the first time that I felt God working in my heart telling me it was time to do this and that adoption was the way to go. I prayed all night long that night. I was scared..not sure if I could do this by myself. God just kept speaking to me and saying that he would be there every step of the way. All I had to do was " Build it and she would come", like the field of dreams. The next day I awoke and began doing the research and contacting adoption agencies. On January 3rd, I signed an agreement to work with Children's Hope International. I had also decided at about this time that I would adopt a little girl, an infant if possible, but definitely under age two. I chose Russia as the country to adopt from, mainly because that's where I felt God was leading me. I just heard him say " your daughter is in Russia".


From those days a year ago.. the ball has just continued to roll. I keep trusting God to bring "T" home soon. There have been many emotional roller coaster days in between then and now. A few of the hardest times were going through, or preparing for my homestudy. I was so afraid that I would be rejected as a parent, but my social worker made the home visits very comfortable in an uncomfortable situation. She remains very supportive to this day and continues to stay in touch even though my homestudy was completed and approved on March 14th, 2007. I just love her and will continue to use her knowledge and support.


Another scary sort of thing for me was getting fingerprinted by the Homeland Security personnel for the I-600A and I-171H forms. It was just so official I guess, though looking back I wonder what was so scary about it. Then there was the psychologist visit. Again other person to pass judgement on whether or not you would be a fit parent. I've passed all of the tests and paperwork.


Once all of the pieces were complete it was stressful and exciting all at the same time gathering everything together and getting everything notarized and the apostilled. I will never forget the feeling of excitement I had on the day that I finally had all of the papers completed in my hand with their gold stickers on them and carefully putting them in an envelope to send off to Children's Hope, saying here is my completed Dossier. That was June 6th, 2007. On June 29th I received word that my dossier had been sent to Russia. And so the celebrating began and so did the very long wait that continues today.


During the time between completing my dossier and now, Children's Hope International's accreditation with Russia expired making it more difficult for the agency to complete adoptions in that country. Wait times for everyone were beginning to drag on and get longer. We were all feeling depressed, and then the rollercoaster of emotions started again. Children's Hope received it's new accreditation on December 14th, 2007. This time it is non-expiring in Russia. Yippeee!!! What a great Christmas present, even if I didn't get my wish of having a referall by Christmas, this was the next best thing.


This past week has been Russia's Christmas and New Years celebration, so no adoption news has been taking place although my adoption agency has sent out emails stating that they expect things to begin happening quickly beginning next week. They have also continued to say that anyone adopting a little girl will take longer due to the availability of girls under 24 months. More boys are available for adoption than girls, because Russians are adopting more of the girls apparently.




While I have been waiting I have pretty much completed "T"'s room. (That's as much of her name that I want to reveal to everyone until I see her for the first time). Here's a couple of pictures to share.




It's been sooooo much fun putting this room together. I just can't wait to bring my Little Russian Princess home. I will be adopting from Krasnoyarsk, Russia. A region in the middle of the country. I'll try to insert a map on my next blog. Hope you all enjoy.

4 comments:

Becky and Keith said...

Welcome to blogland! You have done SO well with your blog - I'm impressed! You even got the clock on there. I'm so glad you decided to start one. It's so theraputic and you can make some great friends this way. I love the princess' room!! Did you do all of that painting yourself? How neat! I hope 2008 brings you a speedy referral and an even speedier court date!

Anonymous said...

I love your blog. I am glad to read a more detailed account of the goings on. I can't ever get enough info on a Sunday morning!

Anonymous said...

I love your blog! It will great to read your journey in even more detail than I can usually get from you on a Sunday morning!

Anonymous said...

My husband and I adopted our son from Vladivostok, Jan 26, 2007. I'm sure every region and orphanage is different but I would re-think sending anything of sentimental value (the handmade baby quilt from Grandma)to leave until you return for your little one. As we left a blanket, tape player, disposable camera, and a variety of toys with our little boy and we only got the "UN-USED" camera. I would suggest you take a cute wal-mart blanket to stay with her and bring the "special" one home to keep for her when she arrives home w/you. Just a thought, best of luck to you on this journey of a lifetime. We are gearing up for another adoption this year, it is an exciting time!