Friday, January 11, 2008

Region Chosen for Adoption


I have chosen the Region called Krasnoyarsk to adopt from. It is in the middle of Russia, about a 6-7 hour flight from Moscow. I chose this region because it is new to my adoption agency. I accepted in hopes that the wait time will be shorter and that I would be closer to the top of the list. I believe I am about 5th in line at this point. I'm not exactly sure how many of the families ahead of me have requested baby girls, so its difficult to judge the wait time for me. I just know that it is a longer wait for girls than boys, and could be up to 12 months. Hopefully not, but for those asking how much longer....well, there you have it.
Mom has been telling everyone that she knows about her soon to be adopted granddaughter and has everyone praying that she will arrive soon. The power of prayer has moved mountains in the past, therefore, I'm counting on it helping to bring "T" home quickly for her sake and mine.
As the wait continues I continue to find things to do to occupy my time. I'm trying to pick activities that are either geared towards adoption, or activities that I might not be able to do with a toddler at home. Here's a list of some of the things I've done over the past year to stay busy:
1) Went on a cruise to the Carribean last March with Mom (which I had promised myself I
would do after graduating from Nursing School in Dec. 2005).
2) Once Dossier completed, bought "T's" crib and started working on the nursery
3) Painted the kitchen and living room
4) Re-did the basement after it flooded last spring. (That's a whole story in itself) This project
has taken many different days of sweat, blood and tears over the course of at least 8
months.
5) Read adoption books by Dawn Davenport "The complete book of International Adoption",
and John Maclean " The Russian Adoption Handbook". I highly recommend both of them.
I sit at my kitchen table every morning that I don't have to go to work and read a chapter
in one of them. ( I am now re-reading them for about the 3rd time.) :)
6)I've become very active in church activities, and making new friends through church. I'm
new to this area, as I just moved here 2 years ago now, so this group of friends has been my
constant source of strength and encouragement. I Love you all !!!!
7)Spending time with family
8)Joined on-line chat groups which are adoption oriented for support from families going
through the same process.
9) Planning a trip to Florida at the end of January to visit Mom, whose down there now, and
also to see one of my favorite places on earth " Disneyland".
Yep!! I'm a Disney nut, I'll admit it. Before moving back to Michigan to be near family, I lived in California for close to 10 years. I was out in Southern California near Disneyland, so now every year I have to go down to Florida to get my Disney fix. I sure hope "T" will like Disney as much as I do.

2 comments:

Becky and Keith said...

There is a cute book called "What Size Shoes Does She Wear". It's a good resource for first-time moms adopting a toddler. The writer has a good sense of humor. Good idea to keep your projects going! I think I've 90% convinced my husband that it's time to replace our kitchen counters, so that's next on our list! :-)

Deb said...

Toddler Adoption, the Weavers Craft is a great book for adopting a toddler. I loved it.

You sound like you are very active. I hope the remainder of your wait flys by.

I love the walls in T's nursery. So creative. I wish I could paint our walls (apartment living).

Welcome to blogging.