Friday, September 12, 2008

Travel Dates

Just a quick post to update everyone on my travel dates for trip #1. I'll be leaving Michigan 9/20/08 and returning on 9/27/08 provided everything goes as planned in Russia. While in Russia, I get to complete my 8 doctor medical visit in Moscow prior to heading to Krasnoyarsk. I will spend the night in Moscow on 9/21, to complete my medical eval. on 9/22. The evening of 9/22 I believe I will be flying out of Moscow and headed toward Krasnoyarsk to arrive the morning of 9/23. Once in region I will have a meeting with the Ministry of Education to officially receive my referral and get permission to visit the orphanage where she is at. The next couple of days I will spend visiting the orphanage and completing paperwork to petition the court for adoption, provided all goes well. The plan is to leave the region on 9/26 to begin my journey back thru Moscow and then fly home on 9/27.

Other good news to pass on is that another family working with CHI will be travelling to Krasnoyarsk for their referral trip the same week as I am. How wonderful is that?? Now I can relax a little about going on this trip by myself, as I will have another family to share this amazing adventure with.

I am still so excited I can hardly stand it. (But I will, cause I can't wait to go.. :) ) So far, I have managed to purchase the plane tickets to Moscow, and get my visa paperwork on its way to get completed and back to me by the 17th. I've also gone to the bank to get my order in for new money. Oh, and also notify my boss, so she can find a replacement for my shifts at the hospital. With most of the major things on their way to being completed, I can concentrate on packing lists and maybe even putting a few things in the suitcase. By the way, Thank you to all of you for your suggestions on what to bring for the little one at the orphanage. Okay, now I need help with what to bring to make my lap top work in Russia. I have an HP lap top. Also, should I purchase an international calling card, or try to figure out this Skype thing that everyone talks about, or both?

Thanks again everyone for all of the well wishes and please keep the suggestions coming. For some strange reason, once you actually receive your referral, a wierd phenomenon occurs where all of the ideas and plans that you had in your head for packing get completely lost in a euphoric fog. :)

Take care,
Shannon

5 comments:

said...

I am so happy for you and completely understand the fog. Just wanted to let you know that Skype is great and easy to figure out but Russia has its technological disadvantages so planning 2 and 3 backup options is the best. Our problem in region was our hotel had problems getting us to hook up to the internet, next, trying to use the International calling card requires touch tone service, the hotel did not have it, so our third back up was to bring a rented international phone - we used Roam Ranger.

Blessings on your packing and traveling.
Monica

Troy and Rachel said...

I walked around in a fog also and couldn't remember a thing on my packing list!! We called verizon and they gave us a global phone free but we never got it to work. We used solely email. As for the laptop we took a converter and it worked fine. We bought a converter from walmart that worked but I know Radio Shack carries them also. Make sure it's round or has long enough prongs to stick it in socket. Isn't fun to get ready?!?!? oh, we bought wifi cards from the hotels for internet and had no trouble.

Stephanie and Dennis said...

Please take LOTS of pictures!!! I wish you the best trip EVER!!!! I can't wait to hear all about your adventures and follies.

Good luck and please keep me in the loop. God Bless!
Stephanie

April and Daniel said...

CONGRATS SHANNON. HAVE THE BEST TIME. WE ARE THINKING OF YOU. WHERE ARE YOU STAYING IN MOSCOW? WE STAYED AT RENAISSANCE MARRIOTT AND EVERYONE WAS GREAT THERE.

TAKE CARE HAVE A SAFE TRIP.

Becky and Keith said...

Ooo... It's now 9/20 and I bet you're having a sleepless night!! Best wishes for a safe and happy trip!