Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Days 3 and 4 with Tia

Just a couple more days to go in Krasnoyarsk now before we head back to Moscow and then home on March 3rd. Tia's passport is supposed to be ready tomorrow or Thursday morning at the latest. Our flight out to Moscow is for Thursday evening, I think at 730pm. We are very anxious to start on our way home, but a little disappointed that we couldn't see much more of Tatiana's birth city. It has just been too cold. It would have been different if we had come in spring, but glad I didn't have to wait that long to come and pick her up. Four months since trip one was way long enough. I did phone our translator today to see if someone would take us down by hotel Krasnoyarsk to see the ice sculptures before we leave. She said she would arrange for us to do that tomorrow. We are both really looking forward to that, as we have seen them from a distance in the car when we have driven downtown for business.
Tia has been keeping us both occupied and the time seems to pass pretty quickly since gotcha day. I am completely warn out by the end of the day, but for the most part it has been fun. Just work, entertaining her all day because she hasn't figured out how to entertain herself yet for more than maybe a minute. She always needs her Mama to go with her or play with her. She is just now letting her Grandma play with her a little bit too. Grandma actually got to hold her today for a few minutes at a time without her starting to cry.

For the most part, this little girl is adapting and handling the big change in environment really well. I don't think I could have asked for a better first week. We have had our moments, don't get me wrong, but for all the change, she is doing really remarkable. She has only had two accidents in 4 days with the potty situation. One was Mamas fault, cause I didn't believe her when she said she had to go. ( Remember I said in my last post how she asks me to go to the toilet almost every 15-30 minutes!) Well I didn't heed my own warning about you never know when its for real, so you have to go every time. Shame on me! The other time was this afternoon. She didn't tell me until too late, already running down her leg. I still am totally amazed that we are doing so well, knock on wood. She is even dry in the morning.

As for sleeping, she has slept in her crib all night long for the past two nights. No crying! Last night we even got up to potty and she went back into the crib for me to sleep no problem. Hooray! Wish me luck again for tonight cause I need my beauty sleep too! The little princess did not take a nap today, except for maybe 30 minutes. She has been so tired all day too! We have gone from running around laughing and playing at full speed ahead to having crying tantrums cause we didn't get our way. It is tough being two sometimes!

I also spoke way too soon about the eating thing. She ate so well the first twenty four hours no problem. Now she has gone to the other extreme of being so picky. Thank heavens for yogurt and bananas, juice, milk, cheese and cheerios. With maybe a little rice and apple thrown in. I tried all the things the orphanage said they fed her, but no way. She wasn't having any chicken, pasta, carrots, or potato for one meal. She did finally decide she liked the potato things today. They are little potato pierogies. She ate four for lunch today, but spit them out last night. Go figure! This is the one area that I have to admit is very frustrating to me. I feel at a loss sometimes, because I don't have the same foods here to try, that I would normally turn to in the USA. I can't just go to the supermarket and get some Mac and cheese, or something like that, cause I have no idea if they even carry such a thing. Haven't seen anything resembling it in our little store anyway. I tried spaghetti too, but she spit it out. She did eat a few plain noodles, but the texture thing gets to her and she spits it out before even tasting it. Hopefully once we are home, I will have a little more luck with variety, otherwise she'll just turn into a banana. :0) Mom says it will be better when we get home, so I will go with that for now.

Tia is still a very loving little girl. She still likes to be held and cuddled by her Mama. She gives big hugs back now and is even trying to give Mama kisses. So cute! And as per your request Sis, here's a few more pictures of my little princess in action.




Hope you enjoy!!
Shannon

9 comments:

Geoff and Karey said...

I love your pictures, such a cute little girl. Did you find the larger grocery store in the basement of the Peppers building? They carry peanut butter there too.

Amy said...

Great pictures!

Troy and Rachel said...

She is so cute!! Daniel lived on drinkable yogurt and some baby foods and fruit also until we got home. He was (and still is) sometimes funny about texture. I highly recommend the Gerber Graduates in the microwavable bowls once you get home - Daniel always ate those right down! I know your anxious to start home. You'll have to post some pictures of the ice sculptors if you have time!

Cindy said...

Oh! I understand the eating thing. Vika would only eat yogurt and oatmeal our entire time in Vlad, and sometimes not much of that. They told me at the baby home she was a picky eater. She continues to be that picky now after almost five months at home. She has texture issues, too. I could go into detail about what she does and does not eat, but I'll save that for an email later if you want to stay in touch. Feel free! schardtca@yahoo.com

Cindy

Carey and Norman said...

Great photos! Love the last one in the tub...great expression!

We too had trouble with our daughter's eating the first 2 months. She'd love banana's or yogurt one day and hate them the next. We too had trouble with textures too. In country, fruit and raw vegetables were best (besides snack crackers and cookies). She also loved chicken legs. We learned this on Aeroflot flying from Vlad to Moscow. She ate both mine and moms. She also loved peanut butter on cracker (or plain in a spoon). We brought several to-go cups, so she ate her way through those. Just some thoughts for you.

Glad things are going well and you are getting some sleep!

Cindy said...

Had another thought so here is another comment. Vika continues to want to play only with me or other kids. She doesn't play independently. She wants to be wherever I am, even if it's cleaning the bathroom or vacuuming. So you may experience this for a while too, but that's fine because it's all good for attachment purposes. One day they will feel comfortable and secure enough to play independently but it may take a while.

Cindy

Unknown said...

Tia is very very adorable! I can't wait to read more about your journey! I just found your blog and I'm so excited to read about a single gal who's adopting. I was just laid off from my job so I'm hoping to find another one before having to dip into my adoption fund. Keep posting! Bring plenty of cereal on the trip home incase she gets super picky sometimes cereal and crackers help picky eaters to get by during travel.
MandyJo

Roger and Joanne said...

Such a vivacious, beautiful girl! Does she know to get up in the middle of the night to go potty or are you waking her up to go?

Children's Hope International said...

My heart is just giggling looking at Tia's photos. Wow, I just love it. Great pictures!

I'm so glad you have some blog supporters to help Tia through her picky eating, too. You are almost home!

Jennifer N.