Thursday, February 12, 2009

Kras Wait Day 2


It's another balmy day here in Krasnoyarsk at about -20F. Hahaha Meanwhile, I here back home is experiencing above normal temps around 50F. Oh well, we are making the most of it anyway.

***The photo is taken looking down from our apartment window to the open market across the street.

This morning started with another visit to see the Little Princess. We got stuck visiting in the little front office which only holds three people comfortably, let alone trying to play with a toddler and having people come in and out of the office to get files or use the computer. The ladies are all very polite, but the Princess always is less focused on Momma and more focused on the faces she knows better when we have to visit here. I'm hoping tomorrow we will get the music room again. Much more room to run around in and play.

As expected, the little Princess was more wound up and energetic today than yesterday. She was so calm and cuddly yesterday, I just knew today she would be full of energy and want to play with everything, including getting into cabinets and files that she shouldn't be in. Isn't it fun to be 2? I do love this age, you just never know what to expect. Always have to be on your toes.

The funniest story from our visit today had to be the box story. You know how people always say, forget the expensive gifts for little kids, just give them the box it came in and they will have a blast. That is exactly what Little Princess was playing with today. One of her caregivers gave us a box of the mega size legos to play with. You've all seen them I think. They come in a plastic container about twice the size of a shoe box. Well anyway, Little Princess dumps out all of the Lego's and basically says the heck with them, and we proceeded to play with the box. It was a ma china to ride on, a bassinet for the dolly, a bassinet for the big dolly baby (little princess got in it too). Got pictures of this, so cute... It was also a ma china for mama to ride on, but I didn't fit very well. Guess who played with the Lego's? Grandma, of course!

Our visit was from 10-12 this morning. After the orphanage, Dasha was kind enough to drop Mom and I at the Mall, Planyeta. We had lunch and looked around the shops for a bit. Grandma bought Princess a new baby doll to play with when she gets to the apartment.

After the mall, Dasha drove us back to the apartment. We have since trekked down stairs and around the corner to replenish the food supplies. I just love going to the store and trying to figure out what the items are. It's always a surprise when you get home and open them up and try to make something out of all that you have gotten. If you are lucky, it even tastes good, you just don't know what to call it. :) My only bad experience so far was my first attempt to buy milk. Luckily I tasted it before pouring it on my cereal cause it was buttermilk. Yuck! Second attempt was good. Now I just stick to that same carton every time.

So, for the rest of the night, I am doing exciting things like laundry! We have a cute little washing machine in the apartment, but no dryer. Mom found some type of clothes line in the cupboard, which I now have strung up from one end of the bathroom and back. This will work!
Here's a couple of Pic's of Mom in our apartment.






Hope all is well with everyone! Thank you all for your comments! I love hearing from everyone!

Paka,
Shannon

7 comments:

Amy said...

WOW!! Nice apartment!! Love that kitchen!

It's been a busy week at work, but thanks for the email! I should have some spare time to respond today :)

Thank you so much!!

Roger and Joanne said...

Yea! Nice apartment. Especially the kitchen!

You got a girlie-girl there for sure. No legos, just making her baby a crib. Too cute!

Carey and Norman said...

I agree that this is a much nicer apartment than most I've seen posted from Russia. We only stayed in hotels, but I am loving your apartment. Very up to date!!

So glad your visit went well. Isn't it funny how they play with boxes and other items moreso than their toys. Little stinkers.

Glad you are doing well!!

Geoff and Karey said...

Shannon, my husband and I were in Kras in Nov. We stayed in the same apartment you are in. Nothing has changed! Although, we did have a clothes rack to hang clothes on in the Kitchen. We were very adventuresome while there and figured out the bus system. Bus 71 takes you to the Planyeta mall and also close to hotel Kras. It cost 11 roubles a person. Just hold on tight! Sveta really tried hard to get us to take the taxi, but we were into saving money. She did call a taxi for a us a few times. Please tell her we said HI.

McMary said...

It's fun reading your posts. The apartment looks great.
Even here in Minnesota it is about 30 degrees above zero. Stay warm.

Carolynn and Steve said...

I vote with the "what a cool apartment" crowd. The apartment I lived in when I was in Moscow was nowhere near as nice as your pictures.
Glad to hear that things are going well with your girlie--hope you get the bigger room tomorrow!

The Wilson's said...

I agree the apartment is quite nice and I'm very inveous of the washing machine. All we had was a bathtub!