Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Wait Day 1

This morning was a lazy day, just hanging out at the apartment watching all the people down below heading to work and to the outdoor market in the freezing cold. We are on the ninth floor of our apartment building so it is easy to people watch from above. Also while Mom played video games, I played on the computer.

At 3pm we got to go and visit my beautiful little Russian Princess at the orphanage. She is so darn cute. I know I said that before and that I am just slightly prejudiced about it, but she is. While we were waiting for her in the music room, I could hear her coming all the way down the hallway saying Momma, Momma. I just love that. I have to admit it is music to my ears. In walks little Princess and she is wearing one of the outfits that I left at the orphanage last visit. It was only a size 12 month and is pretty small on her now. I was tickled though that the orphanage staff decided to put on an outfit that I left. How sweet!

For our visit today I brought a diaper bag full of toys and some goodies. We had fun discovering everything that was in it. Her favorite was the Dora CD player with headphones. She listened to music for almost an hour before finally deciding to take off the headphones. She also wanted to be Mommas girl today. She sat in my lap or right next to me the whole visit. She went to Grandma, but for only a moment at a time and then right back to Momma. She is bonding so well already. I also brought the photo album with me that I had prepared for the Judge yesterday in court. After the Judge was done looking at it I received it back. That was a nice surprise. Anyway, Little Princess and I looked at all the photos and she picked Momma and herself out of all of the pictures. She calls herself lolla or lolly in all the pictures. She must think she looks like a dolly, as that is the Russian word that she uses for doll. Fun day today anyway. Nice and relaxed. No pressure on me feeling court looming over my head. Little Princess must have felt that too, as she was very relaxed as well.

After our visit, which lasted until 5pm, we headed on back to the apartment. Tonight I tried my hand at making spaghetti sauce and pasta from scratch using only a few ingredients and everything in Russian. I couldn't find anything that resembled Prego or Ragu at the supermarket so had to find some kind of tomato sauce instead and make from scratch. Now mind you, at home I do like to make pasta sauce, but it is challenging here. So the tomato sauce that I picked ended up being tomato paste. We also had left over sausage of sorts that we have been eating with eggs in the morning, left over chicken from last night, garlic, sugar, salt and pepper. All the ingredients went into the pot along with some water, and voala....spaghetti sauce, minus the oregano. It actually tasted really good according to my Mom. I thought it wasn't too bad either.

So....Another day down, and nine more to go before Princess comes to stay with Momma for good. Hoorah!

7 comments:

Amy said...

I'll be watching the clock with you! So excited for you to bring that girl home!

Roger and Joanne said...

What a special visit today with your beautiful little princess. I'm so happy things are going well for you.

Cindy said...

Wow, I'm so excited for you! It's such a wonderful time. Two comments for you...first, Vika was saying "lala" when she would point to herself or other children in pictures and our CHI rep told us that was the word for baby. So that might explain a little, too. As far as your little one spending time with Grandma, just be aware it could be confusing for her on whose role is what in her life now. You might start right off the bat with you being the primary TLC provider as much as possible and be the one to care for all her needs like bathtime, potty and mealtime once you get custody. That way she's not confused. You're certainly going to need your mom once you start travelling from Kras to Moscow, airports, embassy visits, etc, though. There will be lots of time in the future for Grandma to give love and physical affection, but really focus on the two of you right now. Just my personal opinion. I don't know if you've ready Carey's blog (Russian Fairy Tale), but her daughter struggled with that confusion in the beginning, too. They still have attachment issues. It was so helpful for me to read that. But enough practicality! Enjoy this wonderful, life-changing time!

Cindy & Vika

Troy and Rachel said...

Sounds like a great day! We tried to find spaghetti sauce to but kept coming up with more ketchupy stuff so we gave up and did noodles with chicken! You get creative when you have too! Enjoy!

Mary and Michael said...

Congratulations Shannon. I am very happy to read your news from yesterday. Glad things are going so well with your little princess.

Tina said...

The russian word for doll is Kukla. Russian baby talk for doll is Lala. Lala is also used in "baby talk" for baby.

Anonymous said...

Hi to Shannon,your little princess and Grandma
Just checking in to see how every one is doing, sounds like every thing is going well and that things are moving along. You remain in my prayers. cant wait till you get home. I am sure you are even more anxious./ Love Marie